Waldrons Bacon/Ham & Cabbage
Author: Yvonne Waldron
- Waldrons back bacon joint or ham fillet
- Dijon mustard
- Brown Sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Parley Sauce:
- ¾ pint milk
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 1 veg stock cube
- 1 bunch flat parsley
- Cover the bacon joint (a back joint or ham fillet is ideal) in cold water.
- Bring to a boil then turn down to gentle simmer and cook for 40-45 minutes.per kg
- Bacon is lovely just like this served with some mashed potato and veg. but you can always go a step further…here we go...
- Remove from pot and place on baking tray.
- Score the fat with a sharp knife.
- Brush the bacon loin with the Dijon mustard, then press down the brown sugar on top of the mustard and drizzle with honey.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 180F until golden brown, usually about 15 minutes.
- When golden brown leave to rest for 15 mins before carving.
- Cook in the left over bacon stock until soft and tender (usually 5-7 minutes, but may take longer if using spring cabbage and like the bacon it is lovely just like this but you can go a step further to add that something special.
- Place the cooked cabbage into a pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in 10g of Butter for extra taste
- Parsley Sauce:
- To make the parsley sauce simply heat up the milk in the microwave to just before boiling point.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter, add the flour and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes over a low heat.
- Gradually add the hot milk whisking continuously until it reaches a nice sauce consistency.
- Crumble in the stock cube and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Keep the sauce warm and just before serving add the freshly chopped flat parsley.